A Vision of Stewardship and Service
The dream of Wesley Manor began in 1914 in the heart of a woman who was ahead of her time. Mrs. Elizabeth Nettelton, a Louisville milliner who was concerned about the plight of “the elderly,” left an unexpected bequest to the Old Louisville Methodist Conference, but her gift was placed in trust for 47 years by the Conference because her idea was thought to be “impractical.”
In 1944, Mrs. Carrie Price of Russellville, Kentucky also surprised the Louisville Methodist Conference with a bequest designated for the establishment of a retirement home for Methodist ministers and their wives. Then in 1958 Mr. And Mrs. C.M. Walts presented 35 acres of beautiful rolling land in southern Jefferson County to the Old Louisville Methodist Conference for the express purpose of building a state-of-the-art Methodist retirement community. Wesley Manor Retirement Community opened its doors in January 1963.